Saturday, January 12, 2019

To Him we belong and to Him we return

Written on 6/6/18

I remember this day distinctly. I had moved out of home several years ago and lived 9 hours away from my parents by car. It was hard leaving them and my hometown initially and I never fully got over it. I was visiting them at home for Ramadan and was making a list of duas (supplications) to make during prayer. I was super excited about this one specific Dua. I very excitedly went to my mom to tell her this new Dua I was making. It was, “Oh God, return me to my family in a beautiful way.” My hopes out of this prayer was that maybe my parents would soon move to where I was or that we would move closer to them. Little did I know my mom’s reply would impact me in such a powerful way. She replied so instantaneously advising me to change the wording of the supplication. She said to ask God to return me back to Him, not my family, because it’s in Him where my Home is. I didn’t truly belong to her she added, for I came from God and one day we will all return to Him. This is one of the most profound statements my mom has ever told me and every time I remember it, it hits me. I was reminded of this Dua yesterday during prayer at the mosque when the Imam leading the prayer asked God to return us back to Him in a beautiful way. I pray we never lose sight of our true Home, our Creator, the Most Merciful, the One who gifted us with our families and loved ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment