Sunday, January 27, 2019

I prayed in a church today

I prayed in a church today. It was 30 minutes before sunset when I realized I still hadn’t prayed Asr prayer, one of the five daily prayers for Muslims that’s prayed in the late afternoon before the sun sets. I was at a church this particular afternoon planning an event with mothers of various faiths and backgrounds for our children who were born with rare medical conditions. We dedicated a good chunk of this day to work together and come up with ideas for our special event on World Rare Disease Day.

What was beautiful though, as we were wrapping up and as I realized I was about to miss my Asr prayer, is these amazing women’s response to my dilemma of how to not miss my prayer. They watched my two daughters as I hurried to the bathroom to make wudu (ablution before the prayer) and as I came back in the room to perform the prayer, one of them looked out the window observing the sun and its definitiveness to set and proclaimed, “You better hurry.” I agreed and quickly began my prayer.

Here I was, an American Muslim, in a church of God, a Presbyterian Christian Church to be specific, praying one of the five daily prayers in Islam. Unity and diversity doesn’t get much better than this.

In the moments I prayed in the church, I couldn’t help but thank God for placing me in a peaceful place with such women of love and sincerity who God Himself chose to be mothers of rare children. What an honor to be amongst such advocates and warriors. And I couldn’t help but think of Prophets Jesus and Muhammad who came with a message of mercy and inclusion. I was reminded of the verses I recently read in chapter three of the Quran where Prophet Muhammad was addressing a group of Christians to come to peaceful terms together, worshipping One God and not associating any partners with Him.

In my prayer today, I regained my faith in humanity, in loving, empowering and supporting each other, and in the incredible strength of diversity. Alhamdulillah, all thanks to God.

#theycantdivideus #interfaith #abrahamicfaiths #lovewillprevail #thepowerofprayer #freedomofreligion #God #Jesus #Muhammad 

No comments:

Post a Comment