Saturday, January 12, 2019

A supplication so powerful

Written on 11/1/18

As I was driving to the hospital for a short procedure for my daughter, I looked in the mirror and saw the look of exhaustion and loneliness. Alone in my thoughts, in my tiredness, in the bags under my eyes, in the tears I keenly carry in those eyes. Suddenly, as the morning prayers (athkar alsabah) were peacefully playing in the background, I heard the supplication: “يا حي يا قيوم برحمة أستغيث أصلح لي شأني كله ولا تكلني إلى نفسي طرفة عين." "Oh Ever-Living, Sustainer and supporter of all, I seek assistance through Your Mercy, rectify all of my affairs for me and do not let me depend on myself alone even for a blink of an eye.”

Wow, how incredibly powerful. If no one but Allah can see my eyes in their form, in their tiredness, and HE is the only one to depend on, the only ever-living and sustaining, then my worries suddenly dissipate to the background. How eloquently and poetically worded is this prayer? My mom often advised me to read this supplication when in distress, and today I finally know why. While driving, I slowly dissected each word of this supplication and was amazed that the prophet asked us to first call upon God in that specific name, the only one who will never cease. And next we ask His help through nothing but His mercy. And we ask Him to fix our affairs, without even naming them because He knows them all, and finally ask him to not leave us alone even for a blink. How healing of a supplication for someone who is feeling so alone and hopeless.

I am no where near this mindset 24/7, but I pray this prayer and prayers like these can be something we as submitters to God hold on to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment