Saturday, January 12, 2019

A comforting ending with Alrahman

Written on 11/28/18

Months ago, I lost my grandmother and began struggling with my faith. Images of facing God were haunting me as I thought of being alone in my own grave. As I was listening to verses from the Quran one day, one particular verse frightened me and shook me to my core. It talked about how every individual will be accountable for their own deeds and will one day meet God alone.

‎وَكُلُّهُمْ آتِيهِ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ فَرْدًا
“Every one of them will come before Him alone on the Day of Assembly.” [19:95]

For some reason, that thought made me uncomfortable. I felt an overwhelming sensation of guilt. I could see all my sins weighing on me and couldn’t fathom meeting God while carrying them. The concept of being alone scared me most.

I phoned a friend and explained my discomfort to her, and immediately without hesitation she asked me to read the two verses that precede the verse I was fearful of. “Who does God say will account you individually?” she asked. I read the verses.

‎إِن كُلُّ مَن فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ إِلَّا آتِي الرَّحْمَٰنِ
‎عَبْدًا
‎لَّقَدْ أَحْصَاهُمْ وَعَدَّهُمْ عَدًّا
‎وَكُلُّهُمْ آتِيهِ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ فَرْدًا
“There is not a single being in the heavens nor on the earth except that it must come as a servant to the Compassionate. He counted them and numbered them all precisely. Every one of them will come before Him alone on the Day of Assembly.” [19:93-95]

Who will we return to alone? Al-Rahman, the most Gracious and the most Compassionate. The one full of Mercy. From all the names God could have used to describe Himself in these verses, He uses the one embedded with mercy, grace, and forgiveness. I was speechless, absolutely blown away. Suddenly, the images of loneliness and the heaviness of my sins began to wash away as I thought of the most Compassionate. That one verse that scared me so much has now become one of my biggest hopes and sources of comfort. What a blessing to know the souls of our loved ones and our own individual souls will be with none other than Al-Rahman, the most Compassionate.

#Alhumdulilah #ThankyouGod #Al-Rahman #ChooseMercy

No comments:

Post a Comment