Thursday, August 1, 2019

The Power of Prayer

As I sit on my comfortable leather couch watching my daughter read her books so attentively, my mind wanders into thoughts of worries clouding over me in this specific moment. I feel a constriction, as if I was looking at my fears head-on, refusing to see an outlet for them. It’s in this precise moment that my phone buzzes. It’s a message from a good friend I had not heard from recently. Her message is short, concise, and to the point: “Send me prayers so I can pray for you.” This sentiment takes me by surprise, such a surprise that I almost forget what I was just thinking about. Without much thought, I quickly jot down: “That God ease my worries.” But that wasn’t enough for her. She replies, “Send me more.”

Instantaneously, like a pile of waves crashing over each other, my fingers begin pouring out continuous prayers. With each prayer I type, I feel weights of worry escaping, slowly releasing the constriction within. Minutes into this process, I am now done, inadvertently at peace.

I think to myself, “What just happened?” There I was, moments ago, alone and trapped in my perplexed mind, trying to escape the internal walls I’ve built. But my friend’s message was more than a message. It was a key to unlock these isolating thoughts and redirect them to the appropriate door: prayer.

I don’t think my friend knows what her random but purposeful message meant to me. I think I owe her a gracious gift: I’ll pray for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment