Friday, May 24, 2019

Ramadan Quran Reflection Day 19

Ramadan Quran Reflection Day 19 (27: 18-19)

The circumstance that prompted Prophet Sulaiman (Solomon) to make such a beautiful supplication in the Quran always intrigued me. An ant warned her fellow ants to take shelter in order to be safe from Sulaiman and his people. In return, he smiled, as noted in the verse, and prayed, “My Lord, grant me the capacity to be grateful for all your favors which you’ve bestowed upon me and my parents, so I can do what’s right and pleasing to You. Admit me through Your mercy into the company of Your righteous servants.”

Was Sulaiman so aware of his surroundings that he realized that this tiny ant was not just a mere ant, but an actual manifestation of God, a piece of His creation, no matter how small, and a worshipper of our same Creator?

An ant warned its community to seek safety, reminding Sulaiman of God’s blessings upon him and his family. What then should we do when we see a bird carefully picking food for its hatchling or a bee collecting pollen from a flower?

If an ant fleeing for safety inspired Prophet Sulaiman to invoke such a beautiful heartfelt supplication, how many opportunities for spiritual connection are we missing out on in our daily ventures?

حَتَّىٰ إِذَا أَتَوْا عَلَىٰ وَادِ النَّمْلِ قَالَتْ نَمْلَةٌ يَا أَيُّهَا النَّمْلُ ادْخُلُوا مَسَاكِنَكُمْ لَا يَحْطِمَنَّكُمْ سُلَيْمَانُ وَجُنُودُهُ وَهُمْ لَا يَشْعُرُونَ
“Until they came to a valley full of ants, one ant said, “All you ants, get in your homes so Solomon and his people don’t crush you without even knowing it.”” (27:18)

فَتَبَسَّمَ ضَاحِكًا مِّن قَوْلِهَا وَقَالَ رَبِّ أَوْزِعْنِي أَنْ أَشْكُرَ نِعْمَتَكَ الَّتِي أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيَّ وَعَلَىٰ وَالِدَيَّ وَأَنْ أَعْمَلَ صَالِحًا تَرْضَاهُ وَأَدْخِلْنِي بِرَحْمَتِكَ فِي عِبَادِكَ الصَّالِحِينَ
“He smiled, amused at what she said and exclaimed, “My Lord, grant me the capacity to be grateful for all your favors which you’ve bestowed upon me and my parents, so I can do what’s right and pleasing to You. Admit me through Your mercy into the company of Your righteous servants.”” (27:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment