Sunday, January 29, 2017

Why our hearts have hardened

Reading the Quran often evokes many different emotions: fear, happiness, joy, anticipation, hope, etc. It's not often that a verse evokes a sense of sadness. However, every time I read the following verse in Surah Maryam, I feel an overwhelming sense of sadness.


Surah Maryam, verses 58:

أُولَٰئِكَ الَّذِينَ أَنْعَمَ اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِم مِّنَ النَّبِيِّينَ مِن ذُرِّيَّةِ آدَمَ وَمِمَّنْ حَمَلْنَا مَعَ نُوحٍ وَمِن ذُرِّيَّةِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَإِسْرَائِيلَ وَمِمَّنْ هَدَيْنَا وَاجْتَبَيْنَا إِذَا تُتْلَىٰ عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتُ الرَّحْمَٰنِ خَرُّوا سُجَّدًا وَبُكِيًّا

"Those were whom Allah bestowed His Grace from among the Prophets, of the offspring of Adam, and of those whom We carried with Noah, and of the offspring of Abraham and Israel and from among those whom We guided and chose. When the Verses of the Most Merciful were recited unto them, they fell down prostrating and weeping."


The verse talks about how the righteous and guided, upon hearing the verses of God, fell in prostration and would begin weeping. Hearing the words of God would move them to their core. They couldn't help but be in awe when verses would be recited. 


This saddens me because when I hear this verse, I cannot help but think, "what happened to us"? Why am I often not emotionally moved by the words of God? Perhaps our hearts have hardened to the point where verses of God do not affect us as they affected those before us. 


As I read this verse and kept questioning myself, searching for an answer to why we are not emotionally moved by His words, I came across the very next verse in the chapter. And there lies the answer to my very own question. 


فَخَلَفَ مِن بَعْدِهِمْ خَلْفٌ أَضَاعُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَاتَّبَعُوا الشَّهَوَات

"Then, there a generation came after them who had given up Salah (the prayers) and followed desires..."


God says in the next verse that another generation will come that will neglect their prayers and follow their desires. This verse accurately described problems in our day today. 


I began thinking about my daily routine, my regimen, my prayers, my priorities. Do I pray on time? Do I focus in prayer? What is the status of my relationship with God? Am I in control of my desires? What are my intentions in every action I take? The answer to these questions also answers why we are not moved by the verses of God. We have disconnected from our prayers, our connection to God. We live for life, while our faith is placed on the back burner. Our prayers have become merely an exercise of movements and words we place no thought to. Our prayers are the foundation that puts our life in check. And we have neglected them. 


Reading these verses, comparing the older generation to ours, and contemplating on the state of our affairs, shook me to the core. May God help you and I be in control of our worldly desires, and may He help us build a righteous life with prayers being our priority and center of our daily lives. Perhaps after we do exactly that, we will be able to taste the sweetness of His words as those before us did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment