Saturday, July 13, 2013

If God wills

I have been reading Surah Al-Kahf about every Friday for God knows the past how many years. But for the first time I noticed something I had never noticed before all those years!

Look at this verse #24:

إِلَّا أَن يَشَاءَ اللَّهُ وَاذْكُر رَّبَّكَ إِذَا نَسِيتَ وَقُلْ عَسَىٰ أَن يَهْدِيَنِ رَبِّي لِأَقْرَبَ مِنْ هَٰذَا رَشَدًا

Except (with the saying), "If Allah wills!" And remember your Lord when you forget and say: "It may be that my Lord guides me unto a nearer way of truth than this."

This well-known verse teaches us to always say "inshallah" or "God willing" before ever committing to doing something. And almost everyone knows that this command is in this Surah. 

Yet as I was reading the rest of the Surah last Friday, I saw this word "inshallah" again. I had never noticed before or paid any attention to it! When Musa tells the khader in Aya 69 that he will be patient with him on his journey, Musa uses this word:
قَالَ سَتَجِدُنِي إِن شَاءَ اللَّهُ صَابِرًا وَلَا أَعْصِي لَكَ أَمْرًا
Musa (Moses) said: "If Allah wills, you will find me patient, and I will not disobey you".

Thus, not only did God command us to say inshallah in this Surah, but he also gave us an example of someone putting the word to use in a story. And not just any someone. A prophet. Prophet Musa. And what better way to learn something than learning it from a prophet. Subhanallah. We see God's wisdom throughout the Quran. But sometimes it can be so subtle, and that's where the importance of deep pondering and understanding comes. May we always be of those who reflect and ponder. Ameen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment